The Alumni Relations Office of Koforidua Technical University (KTU) formerly Koforidua Polytechnic was established in July, 2011 during the tenure of office of Prof. (Ing.) Reynolds Okai. The Office is under the direct supervision of the Registrar at the Registry as part of the routine administration of the Polytechnic.
The Rector, Prof. Reynolds Okai and his Management team recognize the role of the Alumni Association in the general life of the University, and saw the need to re-vitalize the Alumni Association. This resulted in the opening of the Alumni Relations Office.
The aims and objectives of the office are:
- To promote the welfare of KTU and establish a mutually beneficial relationship between the University and its alumni.
- To act as an effective link between the alumni and the University.
- To establish a medium by which members of the alumni will offer meaningful contributions and assistance towards the progress of their alma mater.
- To establish and promote academic and social brotherhood among the old students as well as the staff and students of the University by organizing symposia, lectures, seminars, and other social activities, and
- To establish and maintain a central fund from which assistance to the Univeristy including special research grants and bursaries to students and alumni could be pooled.
It is hoped that the office can galvanize Alumni support for the University from individual Alumni and organizations and establishments in which Alumni dominate. It is also hoped that many Alumni will make significant contributions to their University, Departments and Schools; these could include donations of books and laboratory materials, cash grants, institution of awards for excellence to deserving students, and beneficial links with other institutions within and outside the Ghana.
On conversion of the Institution as a Technical University, the Chief Executive now called Vice Chancellor (VC), Prof. Smile Gavua Dzisi instituted a rebranding committee which the Alumni Office had a representative. The Committee was charged among other things to strenthen the Alumni Office to relate well with past students which in turn bring a lasting bond between the Unversity and its alumni. As part of the activities to strenghten the Alumni Office, a permanent office accommodation was provided by Management for activities of the Alumni to be carried out.
Under the leadership of Prof. Smile Dzisi, an online platform (alumni.ktu.edu.gh) has been provided for past students everywhere around the globe to register into the Alumni Association as part of mobilisation drive of the Alumni Relations Office. Plans are far advanced for the inauguration of new Chapters of the Alumni Associaton notably the Volta, Brong Ahafo and Central Regions with a second Chapter to be inaugurated at Tema in the Greater Accra Region.
The Alumni Association as part of giving back to their alma mater has taken it upon itself to provide sponsorship for best graduating student Higher National Diploma (HND) category. The office is also expected to assist the Alumni to play significant roles in the administration of the University by taking its seat on the University Council.
In view of this, the Alumni Relations Office wishes to invite all past students both far and near to register into the Alumni Association to assist this University in its quest to provide academic excellence to prospective students.
KTU – Innovating for Development.